The heat is on! Summer’s rising temperatures often result with an increase of water usage, both indoors and outdoors. For California, as we enter into another drought year, it’s integral you’re saving as much water as possible. It’s estimated that a family’s water usage can increase by 25%-50% during the warmest months of the year. We are always looking for ways to help our customers save money, so these helpful tips will give your plumbing and water bill a little break:
- If you’re vacationing away from your home for several days, turn down your water heater to save energy. It’s also important to know that the average life of a water heater is anywhere from 8-11 years old. If you don’t know the age of your system, check the last four digits of the serial number on the tank. This will show you the month and year it was manufactured. Check out this post for other water heater repair tips.
- While you’re entertaining family and friends with cookouts and get-togethers, make sure these foods don’t end up down your drain<.
- Does it seem like summer laundry never ends? Make sure you give your washing machine a break and visually inspect the hoses and machine. The lifetime of a rubber washing machine hose should be replaced approximately every 3 years. Think about hanging your clothes outside on a clothesline, or even contacting sunroom builders to let more light into your laundry room.
- Consider replacing some of your older appliances such as your dishwasher, showerheads, faucets, and toilets with EPA WaterSense products.
- Water your lawn at the right time! It’s suggested that the best time to water lawns and landscapes is in the early morning and evening, after the sun goes down. This helps prevent that water being evaporated when the sun is out and heat is more pervasive.
- Do you have trees planted in your front lawn? Any kind of tree growth can cause roots to make their way to your sewer line in search of water. If you suspect any damage (ie: sewage backups in your lowest level), give us a call to check your lines.
Every season brings a different challenge to your plumbing system in your home—whether its winter’s freezing temperatures or summer’s hot humidity. Whatever your plumbing issue might be, Coast Plumbing Solutions will always be available the same day to assist! Read more tips to improve your rental property or home from Rent Directory.
You think California has rough summers? Think again. Our friends at Pompano Beach Plumbers deal with some of the harshest weather conditions in the U.S. Hurricane season, makes these guys experts at home proofing for severe, wet weather. Check out their resources and tips on their website.
Prepare for Winter
Read our article on how to prepare your plumbing for the winter!